Cursor

Flower 55

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

A Joyful Christmas - 1911

My great-grandmother Sibyl used to correspond with her sister-in-law Rosie in Danville via letters and postcards.  When my grandmother was a year old in 1911, Sibyl sent this postcard to Rosie but wrote it as though it were from my grandmother to her cousin Coy (also a year old).  It's postmarked from Washington D.C. on December 23, 1911 at 10:00 AM.  She writes on the back:

"Dear Coy,

Your card came today.  I went downtown with my mama today.  Santa said he was going to send you something from Washington.  My daddy has got a bad cold.  Love to Aunt Lizzie and Grandma and you.

Love,

Virginia"

Among many other items, this postcard was saved by Rosie and given to my grandmother as a keepsake of her mother.

   


No comments:

Post a Comment