Cursor

Flower 55

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Grandma Letter ~~ January 1994


It was a rough week for her!

She writes:

Dear Shelby,

Received your nice letter & always glad to hear from you.

I hope your weather is better than ours.  It has snowed, sleeted, freezing rain, etc. for 1 1/2 weeks.  I can't shovel or anything and I hate for Ruth to do it.  I got my car out of the parking space last Saturday & Sunday but this weekend, I didn't even try.  It snowed & then ice, then on Wednesday 8" more on top & then it went to -1F with a wind chill of -31F.  The mess has to be chopped out and now it is snowing since 7:00 AM & it is supposed to drop about 8" more then turn to sleet & freezing rain by night.  I tried to get my car out on Thursday & it was on ice & slid to 1" of Mary Jane's car (she parks next to mine) & then I stopped & called AAA.  Two hours later, they still were not here.  Tom's son (next to my car on the other side) came to shovel him out and he got my car out without hitting Mary Jane's car.  Then I put it back in my parking space.  Since then I haven't tried to get it out & now all this on top of all that, I'll be here till Spring! 

I was glad I got the car back in because I was half way out into the drive & no one could get by.  Just after I got the car in place, the ambulance came up.  The lady next to Ruth's apartment had died the night before while watching tv.  Ruth went in & found her.  She hasn't "gotten over it" yet.  I was upset over my car & then finding out that Mamie had died, I really was in bad shape.  I haven't been out since last Thursday.

Yes, Harold gets up to eat & has a rocker beside his bed & sits in that when he is not in bed.  One day he is good then gets bad again.

I am sending you a recipe for a dirt cake.  I had some at Donna's on Thanksgiving.  It was good.  I'm going to halve the recipe & put it in a deep dish.  Let me know if you ever make it.  

Well, not much more news, so write & let me know how you both are doing.  Your Mom is having a time with her allergies.  

Love always,

Grandma

Love to Jack.

I'm sending you the write-up about the rough time they had in Philly.

No comments:

Post a Comment